Sunday, March 30, 2008

A quote from Oprah Magazine

This quote is from an old issue of "O Magazine"...

"I have come to believe...that what is most important to me must be spoken, made verbal and shared, even at the risk of having it bruised or misunderstood."

Audre Lorde

I believe this quote but I am still struggling with it because so often I do get bruised or misunderstood or both. I try to improve my communication skills at all times - can I be more clear? How can I convey this more effectively? Usually, I am too wordy. I realized a long time ago that the world's problems start with too many words.

I think "too many words" is really a good motto. If you look at how we talk to children, we get a glimpse into how people best learn - at their most primal, at their most basic (where we operate when we are tired or distracted...aren't we always tired and distracted? or is it just me?) Listen to how we talk to our young children - "No." "Good job." "Want a cookie?" "Stop it." "Come here." We believe that we all develop this complex listening system and yet, most people, if asked to do a multi-part task will only follow the first and maybe the second directive before they get distracted by something loud or shiny or just plain more interesting than trying to remember what the heck they were just doing...

Too many words.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin