Saturday, February 2, 2008

"Fried Green Tomatoes"

I loved "Fried Green Tomatoes" from the minute I heard it was coming out. I had seen the book in Powell's many, many times, but I had never purchased it.

I saw the movie first. I think that is always the best way...Buddy's death was the first shock of the film...I had no idea where it was going but it painted such a beautiful picture of friendship and love, chosen family, community. I still weep when I watch it.

The chemistry between Mary Stuart Masterson and Mary Louise Parker is palpable. And, of course, it was another in a long line of films that started to prepare me for the inevitable. The scene when Idgy realizes Ruth is dead is so real to me. I could so relate to that kind of devestation and love.

When I read the book, I fell in love with it all over again - as it's own entity. They are both such stand-alone pieces. Later, Roby went to Florida and when he was in the airport, a woman finished it. He asked her how it was and she said it was the kind of book everyone should read. And then she gave it to him. He always intended to read it and pass it on. I don't think he ever completed it...

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin