Saturday, June 4, 2011

#Trust30 Day 5: Travel

#Trust30 is an online initiative and 30-day writing challenge that encourages you to look within and trust yourself. Use this as an opportunity to reflect on your now, and to create direction for your future. 30 prompts from inspiring thought-leaders will guide you on your writing journey. Sign up below to receive the prompts by email. If you like this pledge, check out reverb10, it's inspiring.


Travel by Chris Guillebeau
If we live truly, we shall see truly. - Ralph Waldo Emerson


Not everyone wants to travel the world, but most people can identify at least one place in the world they’d like to visit before they die. Where is that place for you, and what will you do to make sure you get there?


(Author: Chris Guillebeau)

I actually want to revisit some of the places I saw as a child. When we moved, we moved far, far from the last location and I never saw those homes again. I would love to go back to Wiesbaden, I would love to visit Uncle Paul's house, the schools I went to on Crestview (the base housing area). I would love to go to Switzerland again and to some of the castles that we saw.

As for places I have never been, I would love to go to Greece someday. And lately, I have been thinking about some of those green-blue water places like Bali or Tahiti or even Hawaii, which surprises even me. I think I would like going somewhere where the water is warmer and you could actually put your feet or hands or body in it and not turn into a Pacific Popsicle.

What will I do to ensure that I get there before I die? I'm not sure.  I think I need to narrow the list - figure out what is more important - the unknown or the previsously known. Sometimes, things live so vividly in our memory that revisiting them dims the memory or tarnishes it somehow - takes away the shine.  I wouldn't want to do that, but I feel like I missed so much just because I was so young and I wasn't always paying attention.  I don't have a deep-seated need to travel like some people do because I did that when I was a kid.  I have a lot of things that seem to be a higher priority for me than world travel. Maybe I will change my mind, but I doubt it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin