Wednesday, June 8, 2011

#Trust30 Day 9: Afraid to Do

#Trust30 is an online initiative and 30-day writing challenge that encourages you to look within and trust yourself. Use this as an opportunity to reflect on your now, and to create direction for your future. 30 prompts from inspiring thought-leaders will guide you on your writing journey. If you like this pledge, check out reverb10, it's inspiring.

Afraid to Do by Mary Jaksch

The other terror that scares us from self-trust is our consistency; a reverence for our past act or word, because the eyes of others have no other data for computing our orbit than our past acts, and we are loath to disappoint them. - Ralph Waldo Emerson


Emerson says: “Always do what you are afraid to do.” What is ‘too scary’ to write about? Try doing it now.


(Author: Mary Jaksch)

Interesting. I don't think things are "too scary" to write about - I just have things I choose not to write about for various reasons, particularly on a public forum like this blog.  The other thing I will say, which is somewhat scary to write (from my own perspective), is that I am finding this challenge quite difficult. I feel a little hypocritical because I have been wanting to focus and do a theme, however, this kind of self-reflection isn't really resonating for me. I can't decide whether or not it is because I did the #reverb10 and some of these issues have already been addressed this year (like the letter to your past and future selves) or because I'm just not feeling it.

Not living up to commitments, even when the agreement is only with myself, is one scary thing. I feel like my word is the most important thing that I have, so I don't like to leave things undone.  I will continue this journey, but I have been judging myself pretty harshly because I'm struggling to say something meaningful about each prompt. I'm going to stop doing that and just go with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin