Monday, December 28, 2009

Belief and Identity

We are what we believe we are.~C. S. Lewis

I was talking to a friend about childhood art and I remembered this book that I made when I was in Kindergarten (I have noticed I have a strange sense of capitalization - I don't think Kindergarten has to be capitalized all the time...but I digress).  I will have to dig that up and scan some of the pictures and post them - since I don't have my own kids' pictures to scan and post.  

The book was "A Book about Me" and it had pre-made pages.  "This is me." "This is where I live."  "This is my family."  "These are my pets." In that book, I drew myself as a princess because, in my eyes, I was one (very "The Little Princess" of me, I know).  I drew my family, I drew my pets and some imaginary ones (including the squirrels that lived in the patio roof in Denver).  I believed that I was a writer, therefore I was.

If I look again at the idea that we are what we practice, then "We are what we believe we are" makes total sense.  So, I just have to practice and believe my way to where I want to go.

I am a writer. I am an artist. I am a storyteller. I am more than my job title. I am more than my role.  (Shhh...I'm practicing believing!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin