Monday, February 23, 2009

Human Touch: Buechner

“Compassion is sometimes the fatal capacity for feeling what it is like to live inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.” ~Frederick Buechner 

Today was a challenging day - not a bad day...I was mostly still able to smile by the end of almost 12 hours at work... One thing that was really sort of breathtaking and beautiful was that in the midst of this challenging day, no less than 4 people made an effort to show me in different ways that they SEE ME - not manager me, not looking for what I can do for them or give them, but they saw my effort not to give into feeling overwhelmed, saw the human need in me for someone to just say something kind, not ask for more, not say, "I know you're busy, but..."  It is really heartening.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin