Sunday, February 1, 2009

Jack Kerouac, U2, and Quotable Cards

"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars..." ~ Jack Kerouac

I love this quote...the first time I ever heard it was on a live recording of "Where the Streets Have No Name" by U2.  I loved the quote and it was several years before I actually found out the origin of it.  I found a version of the song the other day and I was hoping it was the live one I remembered, but it wasn't.  The quote has been bugging me for about a week now, because I couldn't remember it all...just the "burn, burn, burn" part and even Google can only do so much.  

After a bunch of different tries, I remembered that the quote was also on my FAVORITE brand of greeting cards called Quotables (discovered in Powell's and fed by Presents of Mind on Hawthorne).  Finally, success!

After a month of quotes, I am still in that mode, so I suspect it will continue for a while - but they aren't all about change anymore.  

So, for your listening pleasure, I give you U2, "Where the Streets Have No Name".  Enjoy!

This one is the original MTV Video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpVbLm4TN3g 

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin