Saturday, February 14, 2009

Meditation on Being Single on Valentine's Day

"You can explore the universe looking for somebody who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and you will not find that person anywhere." ~ Unknown 

First off, I changed the blog colors in honor of Valentine's Day.  I liked the brighter pink (as it is in the title of the blog), but I figured it would hurt everyone's eyes to read, so I decided to lighten it up a little.  I don't like the baby pink color - my apologies for not picking the easiest one to read...I just couldn't live with the color.

So, I just wanted to acknowledge the day in a positive way.  In the past, I would always be around single, bitter people on Valentine's Day and it rubs off.  I've never really cared about being single on Valentine's Day.  In my view (although it has changed a lot since then), it is still a kid's holiday.  Trading cards, getting your feelings hurt because someone gave you the ugly card in their box...When I was a kid, we made a little Valentine's Day card mailbox/folder/holder of some kind in preparation for the annual card giving.  The rule was that you had to give everyone a card if you were going to give them.  The irony (I suspect it has changed a bit by now) was that people found ways to insult or reward those they wanted to. Candy for the ones you liked, ugly cards for the ones you didn't like.  I was on the receiving end of both over the years.  I think now that they make Valentines in "theme" packs, they just make 2 of everything.  I don't think the "Harry Potter" Valentines or the "Shrek" Valentines have insult cards in them. I hope.

One of my friends used to buy sympathy cards and send them to their single friends for Valentine's Day.  Funny on the one hand, but I'm not so sure the recipient felt that way, especially if they were one of the sensitive Valentine people.

For me now, I love Valentine's Day because they have all kinds of PINK THINGS!! I love that.  I can find a reason to celebrate most things, really.  Pink candles, pink dishes, pink cookies, pink stuff.  Its all good.  And I still buy Valentine's cards every year...this year, I left them at work...unopened and unaddressed. Sigh.  I guess it's the thought that counts, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin