Thursday, January 1, 2009

Change Yourself: Aldous Huxley

"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self." Aldous Huxley

I have a lot of hope and expectation as I enter 2009.  Even though 2008 was a difficult year in many aspects (in the world in general and my world in particular), it certainly ended with some positives - the election of Barack Obama, the snowfall (yes, I can see the positives in it), a personal settling in and decisions I have made to improve my self and my life.

Change has always been difficult for me, but I work in an industry where change is really the only thing I can depend on.  I think the reason I am where I am is to that I can immunize myself to the fear of change - if I am bombarded with good and bad and neutral change all day, every day, I will surely learn to handle it better.  And I am.  I am learning when to freak out and when to ride the wave, when to dig deeper and find out if I am reacting to the approach or the change itself.  I am learning a lot.  This also teaches me patience which I am often without. 

I will probably share some of that journey here - the self-improvement journey - and some I may not.  I don't have it all figured out yet, but I am excited about the present and the future.  That certainly feels good.

Change #1 (my first ever actual New Year's Resolution that I want to keep) - Set aside 30 minutes per day to read for pleasure.  Can be the newspaper, magazine, novel. Cannot be anything related to work, managing, teaching or interpreting. Goal- 6 days out of 7 each week

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin