Sunday, January 18, 2009

Revolutionary Change: Thomas Jefferson

"Every generation needs a new revolution."~ Thomas Jefferson

We are only days away from this generation's revolution.  On Tuesday, Janaury 20, 2009, the United States of America will inaugurate its first African-American president.  More importantly, we are moving towards a brighter future - ending 8 dark years.

The road for Barack Obama is not an easy one - it will not be easy for any of us in the days and months ahead, but we are moving towards a big change.  Regardless of your political beliefs, this new president heralds in a new era.  It is exhilerating and nerve-wracking at the same time.

Today, I went to Powell's Bookstore and I saw a copy of the 30th Anniversary Edition of "Roots" by Alex Haley.  I didn't buy it yet because I have a big stack of books at home, but it is on my list.  It is one of the most powerful reads of my life and I can't wait to read it again.  It was in a display near "What Barack Obama is Reading"- I think it was in preparation for Black History Month in February.  In any case, I want to re-read it as soon as possible.

I read this beautiful poem by Langston Hughes in the Oregonian newspaper today:

I, Too, Sing America  
by Langston Hughes 


I, too, sing America.

I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong.

Tomorrow,
I'll be at the table
When company comes.
Nobody'll dare
Say to me,
"Eat in the kitchen,"
Then.

Besides, 
They'll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed--

I, too, am America.

I know that this post is somewhat random and scattered, but it is about how much America has changed, how much we want to change and how far we still have to go.

"Don't you know, we're talking about a revolution...it sounds like a whisper..." (Tracy Chapman)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin