Monday, January 19, 2009

Changing the Chain Reaction: Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Hate multiplies hate, violence multiplies violence, and toughness multiplies toughness in a descending spiral of destruction....The chain reaction of evil--hate begetting hate, wars producing more wars--must be broken, or we shall be plunged into the dark abyss of annihilation." ~Martin Luther King, Jr., Strength To Love, 1963.

Martin Luther King, Jr. has always been one of my heroes.  I still can't listen to him speak without crying.  Today, on the day we have chosen to honor his birthday, I feel a sense of Dr. King looking down on us and smiling.  I know that all the dreams he spoke of have not come to fruition, but my goodness, to have Barack Obama sworn in as the President of the United States of America the day after we honor Dr. King's birthday and life, that is definitely a step in the right direction.

Martin Luther King, Jr. epitomizes CHANGE to me.  This month I am looking at all kinds of change from small changes we make in our personal lives to the changes in the country to changes needed in the world.  

Below are two of Dr. King's most famous speeches - "I Have a Dream" from the 1963 March on Washington and the end of his final speech.

"I Have A Dream" Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. at the March on Washington

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. at the end of his last sermon

Peter, Paul and Mary - "Blowin' in the Wind"

Happy Birthday, Dr. King.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin