Monday, April 5, 2010

Update on "The Lost Weekend - Extended"

Woke up drenched in sweat (sorry if TMI). Thought optimistically, "Oh, good.  My fever broke."

Got ready for work - noticed a red splotch on my leg. A little bit tender to the touch. Clue #1 - did not want to accept. Told myself, "If it gets worse, I will call the doctor. I'm just being paranoid." Grade = F

Felt wonky at work - kind of there, but not. Kind of one-track when I need to be the Pennsylvania Turnpike. Can't multi-task worth a darn.  Leg becoming a little stiff. Clue #2 - putting off the inevitable.  Grade = D+

Went to the restroom, saw the giant red band of splotchy redness all around my leg, felt the 100 degrees of heat eminating off of my skin. Ding! Ding! Ding!  Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!   Clue #3 - Go immediately to desk, look up doctor's phone number, call to make appointment, hoping like anything that they will be able to fit me in TODAY!! Grade = B (Points were deducted for having to get all the way to BIG CLUE #3 where they actually open the curtain and show you the car)

I was successful in getting in to see my doctor and I have the beginnings of a case of cellulitis.  I caught it right away this time.  Yes, this time.  I have had it before (not for 3 years - who knew that a little dry skin would create so much havoc?? sigh).

The first time I got it, I felt fine the week before, interpreted at Lewis and Clark College for a Michael Moore presentation where I was, if I do say so myself, BRILLIANT!  Like A+ Game Super Supreme. (Ask me about the fudgesicle story - it isn't that funny, but it was one of my more inspired interpreting moments.)  My team and I went out to dinner then I went home, riding high.  The next day, I woke up with a screaming temperature that went up to like 102 degrees. I slept for almost 48 hours and went to the ER only to find out that I had cellulitis.  It TOOK ME OUT - like 3 weeks of leg in the air, antibiotics. It took hold hard. Scary, expensive and no fun. Oh, and the reason I started looking for a real job instead of being a freelance interpreter - which I loved.

I have had it several other times but not in more than 3 years. Sigh.

So, one more night of chills while the antibiotics kick in.  So, I really was sick. I wondered over the weekend if maybe I was just hibernating or something. Nope. Sick. True Biz.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Blog Widget by LinkWithin