Sunday, June 3, 2012

You Just Never Know

So, being in a nostalgic mood this weekend, something on Facebook sparked me and I tried to look up a couple of people I used to know - just out of curiousity. I found one person who probably wouldn't remember me much - the ones who stay don't always remember the ones who go.

Finally, I typed a name - Drew Keriakedes. He was a boy I knew in Florida and exchanged letters with occasionally until my 9th grade year. He was best friends with my first crush, Bart. Sadly, I found this article. How sad to die when it sounds like he finally found some peace in his world.

The last letter I ever received from him was after he had left home (maybe age 15 or so) and made his way to California. He could not reconcile some of his life with the beliefs of his family and he was living an existance I couldn't really even imagine. At the time, I had just written an article about an organization Gerald McRaney was involved in which helped runaway kids. I sent Drew the information and I never heard from him again. I suspect he didn't really have a regular address for a long time, but I don't know if that is true or not.


My heart is heavy. I think this must be why I was feeling nostalgic yesterday...something in the air. Sad.



Here's another article - just a little info about Drew's family from back when I knew him.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin