Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Joy Diet: Truth

This is Week 3 of The Next Chapter: The Joy Diet. I am reading Martha Beck's book, The Joy Diet and blogging along weekly with a group of amazing women. The chapter we read for this week was about TRUTH. There are certainly some truths that should not be posted on the internet, that's for sure.

For this week, TRUTH is about the conflicting stories I tell myself and how they affect my life. Story 1: I love being involved in so many different projects. They keep me balanced. Working at my regular job, my teaching job, my interpreting jobs and my theatrical jobs is possible and I get great joy out of them. Story 2: I don't think I can continue to maintain this pace and still commit myself fully to the projects I choose to be a part of. This means I need to give some of them up.
Story 3: People will think less of me if I let go of some of the things I do for them. Story 4: Change is too hard. I can just keep everything status quo and it will all be fine.

This may sound insane to you, it may sound perfectly normal. For me,I am just starting to hear Story 2 and it is a loud story. It is the truth. The TRUTH. Story 1 has some truth to it, but as I get more tired and more overwhelmed, the less truth there is in the story.

The truth is hard to look at sometimes, especially when it is so far from where you want to be. These stories didn't start out as untruths - I changed. My perspective changed. My interests changed. My desires changed. Now, I have to find a way to get from here to there. The road is fairly clear, but I know it will not be easy. People are always telling me that I should say, "No" but when I say it to them, they get upset. I have to stop letting that sway me.

On a happier note: I am working on my vision cards for Nothing and Truth and Joy. I loved the idea when Jamie mentioned it, but I'm a little slow on the uptake. I love collaging and I want to make it a regular part of my world. Once I am done with the show, I may have some vision cards to share.

Next week: Desire. Big topic.

9 comments:

  1. Sounds not insane to me at all!
    Are you having moon in gemini, like me?
    I know that, I am always in too much different things at the same time and I LOVE it, as long as it gives something back to me!

    Desire will be a wonderful task to deal with, much more easier than truth, but thruth was so important!
    Take care, CU

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, You are a very busy person. I like the way you changed the story. You seem to have done well with this chapter. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful job you've done confronting those pesky thoughts and transforming them into truths that only will bring you a life with less stress and more time to connect. It takes courage to break old patterns! :) Many blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  4. have you posted pics of your vision cards yet or are not yet done with any? Am looking forward to seeing those! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful discovery about your Truth. Every new Truth about yourself brings you in more alignment with yourself. Looking forward to following your path to joy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the 4 true stories headed on towards a crash. Rarely am I able to articulate my crazy beliefs with such clarity and humor.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing your realizations about truth this week. I also found one of the hardest things to swallow was that I have changed. I think is so hard because people are used to you being a certain way, so you act that way, but it is not what your heart or truth wants. And so you are constantly acting one way but wanting to act another. I have found carving out moments of honesty with the people I love in my life to be really helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your kind words on my post. They made my day. Change for the right reason is good and only you will know when it is time to change. Good luck on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It can be challanging to realize that we're often our own harshest critic, & that, after all, it's our 'story' that folks will be disappointed if we don't behave the way we/they're used to!

    I enjoyed your post on this.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin