Tuesday, October 13, 2009

"Practice Being Who You Are" - David Robinson

"Practice being who you are." ~ David Robinson

Now think about this. We practice tying our shoes. We practice writing in cursive. We practice the piano or the violin or soccer or football or rehearse a play. But I'm pretty sure that not once...never...in my life until today has someone said so simply, "Practice being who you are."

I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out who I was, who I wanted to be, who I thought I should be, knowing what I didn't want to be, being ashamed that I wasn't "all that I could be". I never realized, understood, synthesized that to be the person I wanted to be, the person I imagine I am, the KIND of person I want to be, all I have to do is PRACTICE. Every day. Even when I am bored with it. Even when I am tired. Even when I think it doesn't matter. Every day, I need to be ME.

How powerful is that? How scary?

Think of it - if I'm not practicing who I think I am, who I want to be, I must be practicing something else - someone else. That's no good.

I am moved and inspired to start my practice. To build a habit. Practicing every day, in every way, Jean-ness. Putting on my cape. Not a super-hero. "Just Jean".

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea!

    I think today I am going to practice being Lazy Shannan. It's stormy out... I can read a book by the fire, take a bath, drink a caramel Apple spice.... Tomorrow I can practice a different Shannan!

    Thank you for the insight!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin