Monday, November 2, 2009

The Joy Diet: Risk

I read the chapter on Risk and I haven't spent a bunch of time with it, but what I know is this:

I am not a willing risk-taker. I have always been resistant to change, but I am trying to work through that. I know that to achieve success, to achieve the joy and peace I am looking for - even for a brief moment, I will have to risk. Daily, we get up and risk rejection, death, risk ourselves emotionally, physically, spiritually. I know that risk is a part of life and that if I practice taking reasonable risks, I will gain so much more than I ever dreamed.

Most recent big risk- creating and keeping up this blog. Some of my friends have accidentally come upon my blog and read it occasionally. I have joined a couple of groups, this book group included, and have willingly exposed myself to the scrutiny of others. 10 years ago, I'm not sure I could have done that. Daily, I struggle with what topic I want to write about, with what is appropriate for this blog and what should be kept private or relegated to other kinds of conversations. I love keeping the blog, I love the visitors, I love putting my thoughts out there and waiting for comments or just "hellos".

When I was younger, my fondest dream was to become a writer. I hadn't really formed a "kind of writer" in my mind, but I think I always thought I would write novels. This is writing. It isn't quite what I imagined myself doing all those years ago, but it IS writing. It is communicating with people. Perhaps the poetry is missing - I haven't practiced writing poetry in a long time, however, I am still doing it. I am writing. Every day, for almost a year (with a few video or photo posts in-between all the written posts). I am happy. I am a writer of sorts. I am still searching for the ultimate goal, but I know that I will continue to write, regardless of what I decide to do with it.

I am still processing the Risk chapter of "The Joy Diet" and probably will for a little while. This ingredient is a difficult one for me to swallow. I have decided to move on to "TREATS". :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin