Monday, November 9, 2009

The Joy Diet: Risk (Catching Up)

I am still working through "The Joy Diet" with The Next Chapter blogger Book club. I have struggled a little with keeping up and staying timely with the blog posts, but I'm not so far behind that I can't keep up and come into the home stretch with all my fellow JoyDieters.

The ingredient we read about a couple of weeks ago (smile) was Risk. This chapter freaked me out - even the idea of reading it. I didn't want to go there. I am not a risk-taker. At all. I got my first interpreting job because someone called me a chicken, not because I was smart enough or brave enough to apply on my own. I think I could almost get a negative risk score except that I can do a couple of things that scare people - theatrical interpreting and some limited public speaking. I think that pulls me out of the negative in risk-taking willingness.

So, after reading this chapter, I was hoping to find some hints and helps for approaching risk. There wasn't as much there as I might have liked, but I did have an opportunity to think about some of the risks I have taken to do the things I love.

One of the suggestions is to think about the smallest possible risk we could take to achieve our heart's desire. When I stopped to think about it, I realized that not only had I taken a risk in that area, but it was more than a small risk. Writing this blog - taking the leap of faith to record my thoughts here and not freak out every time someone I know starts reading it is a HUGE RISK. It has been worth it. Not only do I enjoy and gain from writing the blog, but I have so enjoyed getting to know folks (both those I already know in 3D world and those I only know in cyberland). I love the art and artistic aspects that have entered my world when I thought that part of my life was dead. I have learned to take better pictures (I still have so much to learn, but I am DOING IT).

I'm not sure what other small risks I could take, or even what I could do progressively to get my heart's desire. I'm not even sure I know what that is - my heart's desire. It isn't one thing. It is a hundred small things that all add up to a joyful, more present life. Isn't that what I'm doing? That is certainly why I picked up "The Joy Diet". The road always looks a certain way at the beginning, but I find, more and more, that the scenery is much different once you get started.

Anyway, I didn't actually risk anything for this book at this time, but I am formulating and I found the opportunity to look at risks I've taken so far in my life/career. I guess that's all of my rambling for now. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin