Wednesday, February 22, 2012

It's Like Christmas in the Mail

This past weekend, I got a bunch of art supplies in the mail, I ordered a necklace from Etsy and I went onto Amazon.com and bought some books and the DVD of the 25th Anniversary of the stage production of "Phantom of the Opera".  It isn't my favorite show, but I like to support musical theatre offerings that are put onto DVD.

The package I got today was a stack of books. I'm actually kind of excited to read them even though they are certainly not fiction or "fun" books.  I've been struggling with doing art and lots of other things and I know that one of the barriers is my own perfectionism that really stops me in my tracks.  After seeing Brene Brown's TED talk on Vulnerability:



Or this one:



and after taking some of my classes this year and after signing up for "30 Days of Courage" in March, I felt something moving in me to explore perfectionism, vulnerability.  The books I ordered are "The Gifts of Imperfection" and "I Thought it Was Just Me: Telling the Truth about Perfectionism, Inadequacy and Power" by Brene Brown and "Loving What Is" by Byron Katie.  It feels scary to open up some of those doors, but I feel like I need to do that.  And it is kind of exciting at the same time - like I'm finding pieces of myself and putting them back in the right place.

I will try to post some pictures of the art supplies this weekend. We'll see if I can get the pictures to work for me.

1 comment:

  1. what a plethora of riches!
    a happy boxfull of beauty, that.
    so much possibility:)
    -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin