Thursday, February 16, 2012

Earning My Keep

The show went very well tonight, considering all factors.  I was not feeling emotionally there, so I really had to work for it.  We had a big audience for the interpreted performance of "Disney's Beauty and the Beast" - several Deaf or Hard of Hearing audience members, lots of interpreting students and even a person who asked for me by name at intermission.

I know that it seems odd that I would say what I'm about to say given that I regularly interpret in front of 3,000 people, but it is true - I get REALLY nervous when there are people I know in the audience. It took me a little while to settle down tonight.

Another interesting idea is creeping into my consciousness and I am working to process it:  I have been feeling bored with my translations - feeling like they are stale. So I am working on upping my game - trying to think of some ways to make a change, spice things up.  At the same time, I realized that part of this, for lack of a better word, stagnation, is part of being familiar with a genre. There are very few surprises in musical theater for me - I consider myself fairly experienced in the genre.  What I mean to say is that while I have some insight into the build of a Broadway musical in terms of story, rising action, formula, denoument, etc., it doesn't mean that the audience is feeling the same sense of sameness. They have purchased a ticket and are there to enjoy the love story. Just because I want another way to talk about falling in love in American Sign Language doesn't mean that what I've come up with is boring. It might not be brilliant, but not every song in a show is brilliant, either. In translation, sometimes a song that is brilliant in the "hearing" world isn't as inspiring to a Deaf audience member, but another song/scene might be more so due to the visual nature of what is being presented.

Anyway, I'm all hopped up on adrenaline, so I will leave it at that. I felt like I worked hard to get myself to the right place, emotionally. It felt good to know that even if I wasn't feeling 100%, I could still get out there and do what I needed to do. Not brilliantly, but hopefully, the audience enjoyed the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin