Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Blurring Days

I realize how lucky and maybe spoiled I am that I have had the opportunity to work so many places and have such diversity in my days. And how lucky and maybe spoiled I am to be here, now, and feel like the days are all blurring together because I'm not having such diversity in my days. Is it Tuesday? Friday? Wednesday? It's hard to keep track.

Not that there isn't diversity. There is micro-diversity now when I used to have macro-diversity. (Yes, I am making up my own language.) Micro-diversity is having lots of different tasks and lots of different things I have to do on a daily basis, but in the same place with mostly the same people and a certain kind of repetition that is cyclical in a not-so-predictable way. The macro-diversity of my former lives involved going to a new location (or four) every day, working with different people but basically being responsible for the same task each day, at each job, even though they all ended up being distinctly different.

I never forgot what day it was in macro-diversity. I never lose my car in micro-diversity.

One isn't better than the other. Just different.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin