Friday, February 13, 2009

Loving Your Fool: Theodore Isacc Rubin

"I must learn to love the fool in me - the one who feels too much, talks too much, takes too many chances, wins sometimes and loses often, lacks self-control, loves and hates, hurts and gets hurt, promises and breaks promises, laughs and cries." ~Theodore Isacc Rubin


I think it is interesting how you can read a quote that will strike to the heart of you on a given day. I read lots of quotes from lots of different people - I have that little "Quote A Day" on the sidebar because I like having interesting quotes to think about. When I was trying to think about what I might want to write about today, I looked up some quotes and I couldn't come up with a topic. So I looked up "Quotes about life" and got the one above.


This is the perfect quote for me. I am always second-guessing what I say, what I do. My mother found a report card of mine a few months ago from my first grade teacher. In the comments section, the teacher had written, "Jean has high expectations of herself and others." Story of my life. Luckily, I have high expectations of myself - not JUST of others...people understand more if you expect more out of yourself than them...


Anyway, I love the idea of embracing the parts of me that make me chatter like one of those monkeys with cymbals when I'm nervous, or the part of me that says too much, or gets hurt too much or laughs too loud or cries easily. Those are the parts of myself that I have always tried to escape, but they are really what make me ME. Perfection is a distraction away from what is real. I'd rather be real. I know it is hard to give up the perfection thing - believe me, I KNOW, but I think it is admirable to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin