Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Everyday Hero

Today, I got some bad news at work. Not horrible - no, I'm not fired. :)  It was just hard and I left earlier than I usually do.  I was like, "Well, I have had enough for one day.  So, I'm leaving early and getting my oil changed! So there!"  Now, it seems somewhat sad that getting my oil changed and leaving at 5:30pm is some big slap in the face of a bad day at work, but there you have it.

So, I drove home in the heat, listening to my Harry Potter audiobook (I'm reading ahead before I listen), got to the Oil Can Henry's near my house and when I pulled up and parked behind the car that was being serviced, I looked at the door and realized they were about to close in 20 minutes.  I had wanted to have the full engine cleaning and also get the oil changed "clean oil in a clean engine", but that usually takes about 30 minutes or so.  I have a light out on my car, so I thought I would just tell them I would like to top off my fluids and get the light fixed and come back the next day.

The youngish man who was helping me (mid-20s?) was quite friendly and professional.  I started to tell him that I would come back in the morning for the engine cleaning and he said, "No, no.  This is perfect, I can get your info into the computer while the engine is cleaning."  I said, "But I know you are closing..." and he replied, "Oh, that's fine. Don't worry about it.  Hey, I'll tell you what, I'll give you a discount on the whole price since you are getting all the recommended service."  Now, I don't know if the "discount" is real or if it all comes in a package that would automatically do that, but he was so earnest, I went ahead.

After it was all done, light bulbs changed, oil changed, engine cleaned, air filter replaced, they had a line of a couple more cars and it was nearing 7:30pm (30 minutes past closing).  I was feeling really guilty and when he was taking my credit card, the service guy said, "You were good luck!  You brought in a bunch more cars! Thanks!"  I said, "Thanks for staying open and doing this for me."  He smiled broadly and said, "No, we like keeping busy and you attracted some more cars here for us."

I left an oil change feeling like $100.  The guy was so pleasant and so upbeat and NICE.  That's what we are all missing.  Some good service, some smiling service...someone that is willing to go the extra mile.

I'm going to check my receipt when I go out to the car tomorrow and see if there is a number I can call to compliment this guy.  He should get a spot bonus or something.  I will return to that particular Oil Can Henry's just because of the good service he gave.  Maybe that doesn't seem heroic in the grander scheme of things, but he "saved" my day and I was really happy driving away in my humming yellow car.

1 comment:

  1. Oil Can Henry locations are notoriously nice. I stopped at one while on vacation because I noticed my car was leaking oil. I climbed underneath it and could see that the filter wasn't seated correctly. The guys at the oil can fixed my leak, topped of the oil and charged me 5 bucks. I tipped them a 20 for being so awesome.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin