Wednesday, June 17, 2009

What Do You Mean it's only Wednesday??

Holy cow...How can it only be Wednesday? Perhaps I wonder this because I worked all weekend. It throws my sense of days off when I do that. Everything will right itself soon, though. :)



So, big doings today. "Chess" In Concert was on "Great Performances" tonight on PBS (OPB in Portland). I only saw the tail-end of it because I was at rehearsal until after 10pm tonight. I'm excited to watch it - "Chess", as I have said here before, is highly underrated. It has incredible music and voices, some interesting information and a huge variety of music genres. It is my mother's favorite musical. If you want to listen to it, I think it is best to get the original concept album from like 1984 or 1985. It has a black background with the white chess spaces. The newer ones are white with black spaces or red with white spaces (I think). Listen to "I Know Him So Well", "Heaven Help My Heart", "Pity the Child", "Anthem", "Mountain Duet" and "Quintet". Those are my faves and they are most "Broadway-ish". There are chorale numbers and a rock song, "One Night in Bangkok", as well as a fun little ditty called "Embassy Lament". I always imagine little oompa loompa guys singing that one.

In other big doings, I attended David Robinson and Patti Digh's teleconference tonight called "Playing with Blocks" - exploring the 3 main things that block us from living now and how to work through some of these items. I was extremely moved by the experience (although I do not understand Twitter at all!!)...almost to tears. So much of what they said resonated with me. It wasn't NEW information for me, but it was presented in ways that are super-accessible to me. Patti mentioned that humans are hard-wired for stories and I completely agree. They told stories to illustrate their ideas and the stories resonate and stick in my memory. They asked us to write down one block that we have that keeps us from living the life we want to live. I don't have the paper here, so I can't write the exact sentence down, but I wrote FEAR. As they illustrated the three main blocks, I realized that FEAR is a part of each of those blocks and my job is to figure out which FEARS are the REAL ones - the ones that create all the blocks and distractions and stories we tell ourselves about things.

I have a story to tell about my blocks, but I'm not ready to do it tonight. I want to be able to really articulate it well. For me, this story is the foundation for everything. The cement of my life - for all the good and bad. Stay tuned. I know that as I continue on this journey for the next 6 months, I will be uncovering and unlearning and recreating stories and finding new ways to live in the world. And I will be here, trying to record it all, trying to understand it all. I'm ready.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for welcoming me back to the blogging world. It's so nice to know that people are reading or at least waiting to read.

    I LOVE Patti Digh and am kicking myself for missing the opportunity to meet her a few months back. Hopefully, I will get another chance. Looking forward to hearing your story about your blocks.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin