Monday, June 1, 2009

Heroes - June Theme

Well, we all know I like a good theme, especially when things are really busy.  I will be trying my hand at "Heroes" this month for Nablopomo (starting my 8th month).  I will probably intersperse the theme with posts on the move at work, the BookFest 2009 list and other fun little tidbits.

To stay on the topic of books, I want to say that two of my biggest heroes have to be my parents for being readers, for encouraging me to be a reader.  I remember always getting library books and books from the bookmobile and ordering books from those Scholastic Book Club paper order forms.  I remember that there was some kind of quota that had to be filled (a specific number of books or a specific $$ amount) and about 1/2 the time, I could put us over the amount with just my order alone.  I read and read and read and my parents let me.  I'm so lucky.

Some favorites over time:

All the "Little House on the Prairie" series

Judy Blume

Beverly Cleary

"The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe"

"The Secret Garden"

"Charlotte's Web" and "The Trumpet of the Swan"

"Where the Red Fern Grows"

The "Flowers in the Attic" series (when I was a teenager, they were all the rage)

"Helen Keller's Teacher"

"The Outsiders"

"The Velveteen Rabbit"

"Ferdinand the Bull"

"The Snowy Day"

"Horton Hears a Who" and "The Lorax" and "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" and of course, "Green Eggs and Ham" and "Fox in Socks" and "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish"

I loved "Little Bear" and "Harold and the Purple Crayon" and "Winnie the Pooh".  I loved "Paddington Bear" and "The Boxcar Children", "Mrs. PiggleWiggle" and "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory".  I LOVED "James and the Giant Peach", too.

Ahh, probably too many to list...

So, Heroes for June 1, 2009:  My Mom and Dad.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin