Wednesday, November 10, 2010

My Kind of Country Music

Let me first go on the record and say that I am not a "country music fan". I go in and out and it always depends on the artist.  Tonight, I watched the CMA award show and it was somewhat torturous. My takeaways, as I wrote in my FB status:  "I am not in the Taylor Swift demographic." AND  "Why didn't they just let Loretta Lynn sing for herself? Or show clips of her singing? Or let her say something? And Miranda, put the girls away."

I LOVE Carrie Underwood and some of the music that is coming out of the country genre, but then there are horrible songs and performances. I decided to go to YouTube and enjoy some ACTUAL country music that I like.

First and foremost, here is Loretta Lynn singing "Coal Miner's Daughter" back in the 1960s or 1970s.


Here is Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers:


Alabama "Mountain Music"


Carrie Underwood "Jesus Take the Wheel"
At first, I didn't like this song, but I loved Carrie's voice and just the presence she had. Later, the song grew on me and she sings the heck out of it.


Shania Twain "Man, I Feel Like A Woman"


Trisha Yearwood "How Do I Live?"
She recorded this version and LeAnn Rimes' version seemed to get more play - which I NEVER understood. Trisha Yearwood's version is much more believable, more soulful, more emotionally connecting. And it sounds like she is saying, "How do I Live?" not "How do I Leave?". Just my opinion, though.


Tanya Tucker "What's Your Mama's Name?"


Mac Davis "Whoever Finds This, I Love You" (I don't know if Mac Davis was considered country or not...but I LOVED this song when I was about 6 or 7. I used to cry every time I heard it.)


This turned into a video post more than anything, but that's okay. Sometimes these little trips down memory lane are kind of fun. I have such a hard time finding music I can relate to now, so any opportunity to listen to something I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin