Monday, March 28, 2011

"The Color Purple" 25 Years Later

I was reading the newspaper today and when I came to the TV Listings, I read them (which I don't usually do...).  Oprah had a 25th Anniversary Reunion of  the cast of "The Color Purple" today.  I was so disappointed that I didn't know that until well after it was over - then I remembered that they have a "new" channel (since the change to digital television - meh) that shows the Oprah from that day at 10pm! Yay!

I loved seeing Oprah reunited with Whoopi Goldberg and Danny Glover. You could see in all the actors this sense of relationship and the memories of doing the movie together. I can only imagine the sense of pride they must have about making one of the most splendid, brilliant movies ever.

I'm pretty sure I've written about "The Color Purple" here before, but I was so moved watching the show, I just had to gush about it again.

I'm pretty sure that Steven Spielberg made this movie as the preliminary movie leading him to "Schindler's List". What I KNOW is that he is responsible for at least two of the most incredible and heart-filled movie movies ever made.  "The Color Purple" is so amazing in terms of visuals, emotional depth, honesty, great acting...I love everything about this film and I always have.  I'm still blown away by the fact that it was nominated for 11 Academy Awards and it didn't win ANY!  I'm sorry, but if that wasn't political, I don't know what is.  I remember watching the Academy Awards for 1993 and thinking, "If Steven Spielberg doesn't win ANYTHING, I'm never watching this show again."  Luckily, the Academy was fair and gave him and "Schindler's List" its due.  "The Color Purple" will just live on in infamy as one of the worst Oscar denials ever.

Anyway, Oprah asked everyone their favorite lines from the film and they were fun to listen to and I remembered one line from a young kid. Mister is in the old, run-down house and the kids are running wild through the house and one of the kids comes in and says, "It's gon' rain on your head!" - my favorite line.  But there are so many favorite moments in the film - I love the end, I love ANY scene with Nettie in it - she was really an amazing actress. When Celie gets her letters.  Shug Avery going back to the church.  Ahh.  I will have to watch the movie this weekend.  I wish they would have this on the big screen again for the 25th Anniversary. I know they won't, but it would be good to see that way again.

Anyway, I'm floating on a little purple cloud right now. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin