Sunday, March 20, 2011

Happy Birthday, Mr. Rogers

I have to admit to you all that I was not a fan of Mr. Rogers as a child. He had a number of strikes against him out of the gate: 1. My sister loved him 2. He spoke in a quiet voice 3. I had seen Sesame Street and The Electric Company first

Now that I'm an adult, I respect and admire Fred Rogers for his love of children and his ability to be a stable and consistent presence in a world that can be so chaotic for kids (and adults, for that matter).

I was reminded today that it is Mr. Rogers' birthday and my friend added a lovely quote that I thought was worth sharing: "Why in the world couldn't we use this thing called television for the broadcasting of grace through the land"~Fred Rogers (March 20, 1928 - February 27, 2003)

Below is a video of the Daytime Emmy Awards 1997 Presentation of the Lifetime Achievement Award to Fred Rogers and his acceptance speech. Lovely.

1 comment:

  1. I too was n not a fan. but I have respect for his way of goodness and respect. Like The leave it to beaver show. They were the old world. When simple times were enjoyed. Now kids look at show and want to buy cloths or act like some one cool on tv. I do not mean this to be negative. I just miss simple rool models for the kids. There was a bit less pain in those days.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin