Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Kindle 2 and Book-Guilt

I decided to buy myself a treat and ordered a Kindle 2 since the price recently came down.  I have been wanting one for a while - I think it will at least help me reduce the piles of books that co-exist with me.  

I feel the guilt of a book-lover, though.  I love the feel of the paper, the texture of the pages, the cover.  I marvel at the colors, at the smell of new books, the fonts.  There are PERFECT books in the world.  

My plan, for now, is to Kindle for travel, to Kindle for work books (business, management, motivation, time management), to Kindle for trade paperbacks or books that don't have those kinds of kinesthetic delights.

Books like my stunningly perfect copy of "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe" (hard back, First Edition- courtesy of Kevin), "Live is A Verb", my Harry Potter collection, BookFest books - those will always be books that I have in my collection and that I enjoy - the heft, the smell, the texture, the colors on the cover...

I feel good about having something light to travel and something that will save a few trees.  I can't wait to try it.  It is charging as I type. Maybe this will be the tech gadget that I don't regret buying!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, you are sooooooooooooooo more techie than me. I still want 'real' newspapers. But as someone who deals with symptoms of RA my wrists sometimes would appreciate something less hefty than some of the books I carry about and around. I wonder, do you get 'deals' on Kindle reads like you do used books on Amazon?

    http://studiolakeside.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin