Thursday, August 6, 2009

Goodnight, Sweet 80's Prince


John Hughes died today at age 59.

You can go anywhere on the web today and read about him and his impact on teen films and anyone who grew up or came of age in the 1980s.

My favorite film by John Hughes is "The Breakfast Club" (I also love "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" and of course, "Ferris Bueller's Day Off").


I can't say that I have a "favorite scene" in "TBC"...I love the whole movie. My favorite line is from John Bender, played by Judd Nelson (I think I still have a crush on him...), "Screws fall out all the time, sir, the world's an imperfect place." My other favorite line from Bender is, "Hey, how come Andrew gets to get up? If he gets up . . . we'll all get up . . . it'll be anarchy!"


I'm not sure, but I think that for anyone who was a teenager in 1985 and probably since then, the essay that Brain wrote for them all at detention is the teenager's manifesto...
"[opening narration immediately after the title sequence]
Brian Johnson: Saturday, March 24,1984. Shermer High School, Shermer, Illinois, 60062. Dear Mr. Vernon, We accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday in detention for whatever it was we did wrong. What we did *was* wrong. But we think you're crazy to make us write an essay telling you who we think we are. What do you care? You see us as you want to see us - in the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions. You see us as a brain, an athlete, a basket case, a princess and a criminal. Correct? That's the way we saw each other at 7:00 this morning. We were brainwashed."



John Hughes, you will be missed.

"Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller"

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin