Thursday, July 1, 2010

Living with Silence

Why, oh WHY can't I just sit and be quiet? I get myself into all kinds of trouble because those silent ticking moments are so unbearable. I can usually wait about 30 seconds before all my questions rear their ugly heads. I think it comes from a lifetime of being quiet. When I was a student - even through most of my college career - I didn't ask questions. I was afraid to ask questions. I was afraid that I was supposed to already know everything.

Today, I didn't so much ask questions as spoke up when it might have been more prudent to be quiet. I need to learn how to live within the silences. It's okay. When I interpret, I am comfortable with silence, but as a human being, I find it very difficult. I need a keeper. I had more than one meeting today where I went in thinking, "I'm just going to be quiet" and it didn't happen. I think I just need someone to go to meetings with me and when I open my mouth, they can poke me with a stick or something.

I don't think I did any harm today. I just should be quieter. I'm working on it.

2 comments:

  1. please, please, PLEASE don't stay quiet!! There is a difference between people who talk to hear themselves and people who talk and offer wisdom and insight. You are the latter, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tina. I worry about this stuff. I really appreciate the feedback.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin