Thursday, July 22, 2010

Contemplating Becoming a Morning Person

For some reason, this summer it has been incredibly hard to get up on time. I realized that one reason for this is that I took my second/spare alarm clock with me on my trip to Vegas and I never brought it back to its normal function (acting as a second alarm). The other reason is that 6:00am is the BEST TIME TO SLEEP...it is the perfect temperature at that time of morning and I think I must be in REM sleep at that time. I suppose I just need to start going to be earlier...?

So, as I was dragging my way to work a little earlier today than normal, I was thinking that it would be good to be more of a morning person. I have NEVER been a morning person - not even when I was a little kid. Within days of school getting out for the summer, I was wide awake WAY later than a kid should be. I used to clean my room at night, read, whatever. There is something about being awake when the world is quiet and there are no expectations and no pressures. No one will call or come over or need anything.

At the same time, I love the idea of being done for the day by 4 pm. Working until 6 or 7 or 8 pm kind of takes a hunk out of the day. It is the same amount of day, but I like the idea of cramming work into a corner - early in the day or late in the day but that way you have a whole other part of your life that you are doing stuff and can predict how things are going to shake out. This middling stuff (9:30-6pm or 10-7:00 or whatever) really just cuts through the middle of the day. Both ends are too short to really do anything useful.

I didn't come to any conclusions today - just know that something has to change soon. I need to get back to a more normal schedule and see how that works for me. We'll see how long it takes. Maybe the best thing is to start after I take my vacation...I will be refreshed, so getting up early shouldn't be a problem. Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin