Saturday, August 21, 2010

Interpreting Dream

Last night, I dreamed that I was standing in a courtyard with 3 people I had interpreted for in the past. Not sure why these people were in my dream, but still, they were. One of my former mentors walked by and then suddenly, the courtyard turned into a large classroom for presentations.

Across the front of the room hung a large swath of fabric that the students were projecting on for their presentations. The instructor started to speak and I was on the opposite side of the screen - one of the Deaf students was standing in my spot and looking angrier and angrier that they couldn't see me interpret. I fought my way through the fabric, but there were other students gathered at the front (more like elementary school than University, but ok...). Finally, I got to the place where I needed to be and I had an argument with the Deaf student about why I couldn't go sit in the audience and interpret solely for them.

Once the argument was over, the instructor was reading their metaphor heavy, completely pop-culture referenced papers about musical groups in an auctioneer's pace.  I was interpreting as best I could about the music group Chicago when suddenly, I had to start walking down this hallway/path (there were doors and planted crops, so I'm not sure which it was).  I kept interpreting but pretty soon, I couldn't see the people I was interpreting for...so I turned around and started back. When I did start back, the entire path/hall was uphill STEEP, like need a rope to get up it. I was working my way back when the student who was mad at me for not sitting in the audience showed up and asked me where I had been - they were waiting.  I tried to explain, but I couldn't make progress and interpret and explain all at the same time.

Suddenly, I was at the top of the hill, but the entrance into the room was on the floor and was about the size of my head.  I squatted down, realizing that there was no way I could get through that opening without dying of a panic attack. The student was in there, urging me to come through. I put my head in to explain why I couldn't come through and I felt the panic start to rise.

I woke up and couldn't go back to sleep for a long time. Scary, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin