Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Walking the Fence

Some of my Facebook rules have sort of bled over here and I'm not sure how I feel about it or what I'm going to do about it.

My Facebook account is an odd mix of work folks (peers, bosses and clients), former students, potential employers, personal friends, interpreter friends, etc. Once the students and work folks started friending me, I realized that my Facebook was about something other than my own pithy status updates. I choose not to participate in political conversation, controversial conversation, religious conversation, I don't "repost" updates from folks supporting cancer or AIDS or battered women or marathons or anything else. I stay fairly neutral because it seems prudent.

Sometimes, I am tempted to write about issues that I am thinking about - political, social, etc. but I haven't really done that here, either. I can't decide if I want to bring most of that to the blog and I can't really say why. Maybe I'm just afraid to expose myself so publicly. Maybe I just don't want to. Maybe it is just safer that way. No one is offended. No harm, no foul.

I was just thinking about that today as I listened to a discussion about eggs with salmonella today. It made me wonder if the folks who drop by ever wonder why the hell I only talk about goofy stuff or personal stuff without context. I don't write the blog for other people - I write it for myself and other people stop by. But still. I'm not sure I'm ready for prime-time blogging. I'm gonna think on it some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin