Saturday, August 28, 2010

Old movies, Good comfort

I watched an old movie last weekend and one of the previews was for the movie, "Hope Floats".  While I aspire to be a person who has more sophisticated movie tastes, I just don't.  I love a good romantic comedy. I love Sandra Bullock and I LOVE Harry Connick, Jr.  Gena Rowlands is also in the movie- I haven't seen many of her movies, but I love her presence.  Another person who I am impressed with is the actress who plays Sandra Bullock's daughter.  Her name is Mae Whitman - you may know her from the current TV series, "Parenthood" as Amber, the rebellious brunette teenager or from "Independence Day" where she played the President's daughter.  I remember her from "When a Man Loves a Woman" with Andy Garcia, Meg Ryan and Tina Marjorino.  Powerful stuff.

Anyway, I watched "HF" today.  There is a scene in the movie where Sandra Bullock's character goes to visit her father in the nursing home he is in and he doesn't say a word to her but they dance together. Then there is a scene where Harry Connick, Jr. shows her his house and he takes her outside and kisses her on the forehead.  There is also a couple of beautiful, tender moments with Gena Rowlands as the Grandma. Finally, at the end of the movie, there is a silhouette of HCJ and SB and the two kids from the movie and they are all walking down the street holding hands.  All of that together just made me miss my father and think about my mom and how we all need to cherish our time together because you never know what can happen.

I think that's why I don't have more sophisticated tastes in movies - a movie that can make me think of my father or Roby or an old friend, or a hero or a teacher I should thank is a GOOD movie, in my humble opinion.  Some people need to see wild adventures and go to places they've never gone before in their movies - sometimes, I like that, but sometimes, I like "comfort food" - a movie that reminds me of all that I love, all that is good and nurturing and reminds me of old dreams and new ones.

A lot of political stuff in the air. Most importantly, today, the 47th Anniversary of the March On Washington and MLK's "I Have a Dream" speech. I know this post is lightweight for a day of significance. Click on the MLK tag from yesterday if you want to watch some videos of that historic speech and that historic day. I decided to take a break from that today. Not sure why, but my gut is usually right, so I went with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin