Saturday, February 2, 2008

"My Life"


I have always watched movies about death and dying and they always portray the hero as brave and stoic. It isn't always that simple. I liked this movie because Michael Keaton was so scared and then he finally realized how to make things ok for himself.
I loved the idea of his toys hidden at the house where he had grown up. When we moved from Aurora to Wiesbaden, I was 6 and I tried to hide my toys so that I could come back for them. I thought we would be gone like the driving vacations we took in the summer. Little did I know we would never go back.
This movie came out within days of finding out about Roby's toxo and I went to see it 3-4 times in a week, then at least once a week until it was out of the theatres. I saw it at the Westgate late at night - like the 10:00pm shows, so there were usually only a couple of people in the theatre with me.
I think the first time I saw it, I bawled and bawled and I'm not even sure I saw the whole movie. I just needed a place to cry and not have people ask me too many questions. After the movie was over, I was still sobbing and a woman came to me and patted my on my shoulder and gave me a kleenex. She said, "I'm so sorry. It will be ok" and then she left. I can see that moment in my mind's eye so clearly. What compassion that woman had.
I don't think this movie was popular - movies about death never are...but it holds a place in my heart because it helped me through one of the hardest times of my life when I couldn't tell anyone what I was going through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin