Saturday, October 4, 2008

Harry, 24, Meg and Gandhi


In an effort to escape more commentary about the Biden/Palin debate on Thursday night, I put in "24" Season 4 last night. I have to wait between seasons...it is like crack or meth. I can't just watch one episode. I have loved Keifer Sutherland since "The Lost Boys" came out...but I also love the format, the suspense. I'm having a hard time reconciling my love of this show and most of the action movies I love with what I believe and who I am as a person. I haven't quite made it there. I see myself in peaceful ways and I understand the impact that viewing violence has on young people (as well as everyone else). In fact, my own viewing habits have changed greatly since I was a teenager. I used to be able to watch ANY scary movie. Then I saw "Nightmare on Elm Street" and "Aliens" a few too many times... As I get older, I find it harder and harder to watch violence of any kind. I have to look away and often have to cover my ears so I can't HEAR the shooting, screaming, punching, tearing... Weird, I know.

So, in the last 2 days, I watched the first 4 episodes of Season 4 of "24".


We were talking about "You've Got Mail" at work the other day, so of course, I wanted to watch it. I got up early this morning and looked for it. And looked for it. And looked for it. I'm sure the day after I rent and watch it, I will find my copy of the stupid thing. GRR. But I found out that I have 2 copies of "When Harry Met Sally" on DVD. I watched it about 2 weeks ago, so it wasn't really the replacement I was looking for. I put in "Sleepless in Seattle" and slept through the entire thing.


In an effort to not have a completely useless Saturday, I tried watching "Gandhi", which I am sad to say, I have never seen. I am a big fan of Gandhi and had the opportunity to interpret for his grandson, Arun Gandhi, a few years ago. He was amazing. I love Ben Kingsley - I think he is my favorite living actor right now...but I have never seen the whole movie. I started watching, but I just couldn't go there...So, instead, I am watching "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone". Not quite the same, but there you go.

And of course, episodes of "Buffy" to sleep by. :) Season 5 - Just finished the episodes where Joyce dies. Hard to watch.

Editorial comment:  So, yes, this is a lot of viewing time for just 2 days, however, I justify it by telling you that yesterday was one of my "don't leave the house all day" days.  I didn't finish "Harry Potter" either...No movie luck yesterday.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin