Friday, January 16, 2009

The Roots of Change: Pauline R. Kezer

"Continuity gives us roots; change gives us branches, letting us stretch and grow and reach new heights." ~Pauline R. Kezer

I like this quote because the implication (in my opinion) is that you have to have some continuity as the base for the branches of change. If I have a solid foundation to stand on, I can try, do and branch out to all kinds of things. When I read this quote, I realized that sometimes I look for the continuity in the wrong places.

The continuity in my world is me...my choices, my friends and family, myself. I have to root myself in my beliefs, in my values, in my integrity and all the world can whiz by and the seasons can change and years pass by in seconds and it will all be ok because I am me and I am grounded in that. I guess that is what age brings - the stillness of self. Not in a bad, rutty, stagnant way, but in the zen, peaceful, calm stillness of knowing that everything will be ok.

For anyone who knows me - stillness and calm are not words that anyone would choose to describe me but there is an internal stillness, settledness that has nothing to do with excitability.

Does any of this make sense?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin