Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Music Soothes the Savage Beast

Okay, so maybe "savage beast" is a little extreme, but I think that is the saying. Anyway, I have just enjoyed a very quiet evening of listening to music in my headphones and playing Spider Solitaire. I should have done the dishes, done some laundry, done some reading, worked on my art journal, opened my mail, read the newspaper, answered email....the list goes on and an on. But I didn't. I listened to music and it made me feel better.

I prefer music with lyrics and I often just listen to Broadway tunes, but on a night like this, I listen to what seems like an eclectic playlist of whatever is in my jukebox.

When I was a little girl, I used to illustrate the lyrics to story-songs. I have always felt a strong relationship to the poetry of lyrics (maybe everyone does - I don't know).  Tonight, every song struck me with some little bit of wisdom, comfort, truth. Something. Some brought me to tears, but not the bad kind. The kind that you cry when you feel relief from pain or sorrow.

Every once in a while, I know exactly what I need to do to feel better. I know that I have to be prepared for the days and weeks ahead - not knowing what the outcome will be for my friend. Tonight was a good step in the right direction - just being centered, breathing, and a little pampering. I'm lucky I have the choice to do that.

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted u to know my thoughts are still with you and your friend.

    You are doing what I did last year. in silence we find peace. I used games on face book to silence my brain. You are using music.

    You are my sunshine, is a wonderful song you may find comfort in it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin