Friday, September 2, 2011

On Vulnerability

If you have about 20 minutes, pop over to the "Video Inspiration" tab on the blog and watch the Brene Brown video from TED.  It was thought-provoking for me.

I think that one of the reasons I keep this blog is to have a place to be vulnerable. I know that that content has changed quite a bit since the beginning, but I don't necessarily think that is all bad. I know that there is a part of me that is less willing to be vulnerable here (LOTS of reasons for that, common sense being #1).  I have talked about this before, but my world really is much smaller now than it was when I was a freelance interpreter - I come into contact with far fewer people and I participate in less social engagement, so that limits the opportunity to be in situations where I might express vulnerability or even just be myself and not myself on guard.

Let me be clear - "myself on guard" is not about not trusting people - it is just about being "on" all the time. I think we all have different facets of ourselves that we choose to express in different ways and at different times.

This isn't well thought-out...I think I may have to rethink this post and rewrite it.  I guess the point is that I am thinking about the lecture Brene Brown gave and how that works into my world.




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin