Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Time Machine

Prompt from NaBloPoMo:  What point in time would you like to return to and live again?

I don't like to look back in terms of regret or "living in the past" - memories are good but they are memories and we have to keep moving forward, so these questions often baffle me.

I really have two different answers depending on additional context. If I could go back and CHANGE something, I would go back to October/November of 1985 and I would not allow Roby to date Grant who passed along HIV to Roby, his wife, and his at-the-time unborn child. I would steer him so clear of the Beaverton Fred Meyer where Grant worked. When we went on the first date with him (that's a whole other story), I wouldn't have allowed Grant to drive Roby home on the night before Thanksgiving. I wouldn't have left them alone at all - I would have dogged them every last minute until Roby just got bored with it and moved on.

If I have to choose a time that I would go back to and relive without changing anything, I would love to go back to the time when we lived in Germany. It was such a rich time and there was so much to see and do and learn. I would try to remember more, try to carve more places in my brain to hold all the sights and sounds from my time there from living in Madenbach and riding our scooters in the alley to going to the German pool and going to school at Crestview in the maid's quarters.  All the camping and volksmarches and traveling in the mountains of Switzerland, visiting Schloss Linderhoff and Neuschwanstein Castles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin