Friday, May 1, 2009

Day 36: Back to My Roots

Today, I had the opportunity to interpret in a situation that was scary, exciting, challenging and difficult.  There were lots of factors but I DID IT.

My goal - stay real with my team, stay real with the process.  If I was in over my head, I was prepared to be the interpreter that I WANT to be - step up.  If there is a problem, tell someone, ask someone - don't just keep spiraling downward.

I think it went pretty well.  I was rusty, I wasn't perfect (no interpretation is, but I was NOT perfect).  I lived through it, had a good time, got some good feedback and saw some folks I hadn't seen in a long time.

Then, an after-job get together with some of my dear friends who complete my heart.  Some new friends there, too.  We laughed, reminisced, told stories, and thoroughly enjoyed each other.

Every muscle in my neck, back and chest hurt.  Obviously, I have been away too long.  I'm going to change that.

So, how does this relate to my 37 Days Challenge?  Well, I thought it all through, I thought about the kind of person/interpreter I wanted to be - respectful, skilled, humble, appropriate, friendly, appropriate boundaries and honest.  I just worked on that and stayed focused on all the things I have done in the past 36 Days to stay grounded in who I am and who I want to be.  There is a zen quality to that path now - when I get there, things change, calm, feel complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin