Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Energy Realization

It has been a really long time since I took a vacation unhooked completely. Usually, I check my email while away, just to keep up with things. This time, I didn't do that once I left for the beach.

Wow. I am amazed at how much energy I use when I'm at work. Today wasn't particularly hard, but I had a lot of catching up to do. I felt the tension rise up in my neck by about noon. I was needing a nap by about 2:30pm. By 8pm, when I was finally able to leave, I was DRAGGING.

It isn't just the energy it takes to be around people - it is the energy it takes to multi-task, to track all decisions and comments and protocols as they change day to day, sometimes minute by minute. It is the energy it takes to understand people's cryptic messaging - the more communication technology we have, the less clear our communication seems to be.

I had a good day, but it made me realize that I have to CREATE time and opportunities for unhooking more regularly. I can't be "ON" all the time or I will eventually turn off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin