Tuesday, September 22, 2009

"The Wizard of Oz" 70th Anniversary

I am treating myself to go see "The Wizard of Oz" on the big screen tomorrow night.  I haven't seen the movie in years - maybe since Roby died. It will be the first Hi-Definition viewing in theatres set to celebrate the 70th Anniversary of the film.

I was always a "Wizard of Oz" movie fan.  When I was a kid, they used to show it annually - somewhere around Easter-time, I think.  We would gather around the television and my Dad would groan and moan about having to watch it.  I later found out that he just didn't like Judy Garland and he had read all the books and the movie didn't live up to his imagination.

When I was 6 or 7, we went to see the movie on the big screen in Wiesbaden.  It was showing at the Air Force Base movie theatre.  My sister and I went while my parents went to the commissary.  I knew the story, I knew the movie.  When the Wicked Witch of the West's face appeared full screen, I jumped up out of my chair in horror and ran from the theatre. My sister had to run to the lobby and drag me back in to finish the movie.  I was terrified.  For a little kid, the Wicked Witch is definitely do-able on the small screen (like 19 in), but not on the big enormous movie screen.

Later, I became a fan of many of Judy Garland's songs and movies, particularly, "Meet Me in St. Louis".  Roby and I used to listen to old Judy Garland albums and sing together.  What fun!  We watched "The Wizard of Oz" several times a year until maybe the 1990s...I don't know why we stopped.  We were probably just to busy or distracted or something.

Anyway, the movie is playing in several local theatres.  Go see it. Remember the magic. Celebrate 70 years of being one of the most beloved movies of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin