Wednesday, September 16, 2009

If I had a hammer...

Mary Travers, age 72, died today after a long battle with leukemia. I'm feeling a little heartbroken. I have been listening to their music since I was 6 years old (I had probably heard them before but didn't know it). Mary's voice was the first female singer I had ever heard with an alto voice. So comforting.

I had the good fortune of seeing them in concert several times and it really ruined me for most other concerts because they were so genuine, so personable, so giving. Imagine spending your life doing what you love and helping people at the same time - raising conciousness, fighting injustice.

I never really gave up home that I would see them in concert again, but I think I didn't really think about the fact that they have been singing together since 1961...

If you are a fan (or if you aren't, you should be), my recommendations are "A Holiday Celebration" video and CD and Peter, Paul and Mary "In Concert". There are others, but these are my favorites. I watch "A Holiday Celebration" every year on Christmas Eve, late into the night as I wrap gifts. I listen to the CD any old time of year when I need to be in touch with that soft part of myself.

Peter, Paul and Mary - Blowing in the Wind


Leaving on a Jet Plane (not the best recording but it is captioned!) John Denver with Peter, Paul and Mary


If I Had a Hammer


Puff the Magic Dragon


Where Have all the Flowers Gone?


I will stop now, but I'm pretty sure if you click on the tag "music video" and "PPM", you may find other Peter, Paul and Mary videos I have posted here.

The world has lost one of its great human treasures in losing Mary Travers. Go in peace, Mary.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin