Saturday, August 27, 2011

Childhood Memory: "Captain America"

Here is my memory of "Captain America" from my childhood:


The lyrics:
When Captain America throws his mighty shield,

All those who chose oppose his shield must yield.

If he's lead to a fight and a duel is due,

Then the red and white and the blue'll come through.

When Captain America throws his mighty shield.

When we moved to Germany, I was six years old - a time when kids are most likely to like cartoons, especially on Saturday mornings. In the U.S., we watched "Bugs Bunny" and the other Warner Brothers cartoons. We watched "Scooby Doo" and other Saturday fare from that time. In Germany, they had the "Armed Forces" television channel (one channel, no commercials, shows from all the major network channels mixed together, black and white). The channel had a single hour of cartoons on Saturday morning, I think from 9:00am - 10:00am. They alternated weeks - one week an episode of "Captain America" and "Thor" and one week more "girl-oriented" cartoons (they had "The Little Matchgirl" and some other thing...I don't think they had a "regular" girl cartoon they showed.)

Anyway, when I heard that they were making "Captain America" into a movie, I was practically the only person I know who even REMEMBERS the cartoon. I was hoping they would have the song in it, but they didn't.

I'm going to stop going to see any comic book movies - they are too one-dimensional for me, and frankly, most of them are boring. So far, the best series has been "Iron Man". If they do "Wonder Woman", I will see that, but I'm done with "Spiderman", "Superman", "Batman", etc. I don't go to the movies often enough for this to be worth it. I know I'm not the "target" demographic for these movies, so I just accept that they aren't my thing.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin