Sunday, March 15, 2009

Down a Rabbit Hole...

“Alice: It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.” From the 1951 movie version “Alice In Wonderland”

I entered the strange and confusing world of Facebook about two weeks ago and more and more I understand the generation gap. Blogs are almost old fashioned compared to the almost ADD movement of Facebook.

Don't get me wrong - I think it is fascinating in an anthropological way...I feel like Indiana Jones in the most recent movie – rolling down the mountain while clutching the valuable artifact isn’t as easy as it was 20 years ago…so goes the navigation of the social networking site that I can’t really comprehend.

The up-sides are numerous – you can keep in touch with people without having to log into your email account – you can contact many people at the same time. But the downsides are numerous, too. I don’t need/want to read EVERY COMMENT that every person made about EVERYONE ELSE’S comments.

I just don’t get it. I spent too many hours trying to figure out how to add a “Books” section to the stupid profile. While looking for that, I found a Discography one, but I couldn’t figure out how to install? Attach? Activate? That on my profile/page/?? And I suspect that my old computer doesn’t get it either – every time I log in, the computer comes to a standstill loading and moving from page to page. It is trying to tell me something and I haven’t been listening.

I’m not going to close my account, but I’m not going to spend hours on Easter Eggs and Poking (?) and all that stuff. Who has time? I spend my whole day at a computer screen, I don’t really want my leisure world to be ONLY that…I still have the whole reading thing going on, so I’m going to go off and do that today. Oh, and also, I have this blog. That’s important to me, too. The other stuff is just a distraction which I may need occasionally, but I think it will be less than I think.

Anyway, I will still be on Facebook…and I respect those of you who are nimble of mind and able to negotiate through it. Perhaps a tutorial someday?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin