Monday, March 9, 2009

Defying Gravity - Interpreting for "Wicked"

I am rehearsing for the interpreted performance of "Wicked", a show that I love dearly.  The only problem is that it is quite complicated and I am struggling with translations that will equal the brilliance of the show...

Right now, I am focused on the pièce de résistance- "Defying Gravity".  I feel inadequately prepared for this song...ironically, I have interpreted the show before and I didn't feel that my translation lived up to the hype.  I went onto YouTube and looked up "Wicked" ASL performances and found a plethora of students...ahem..."interpreting" the songs, but I am still worrying over the song.

I'm posting the song here and welcome any ideas regarding imagery that you get when you hear the song - doesn't have to be from an interpreter - can be from anyone who is inspired to help a desperate person or who loves the show. :)  I understand the meaning of the song, but I just need to open my mind to some of the imagery and some of the possibilities of the song that I haven't even wrapped my mind around at this point...This is a truncated version of the song since the only legal copy available is from the Tony awards. 

Thanks in advance!

The interpreted performance is on Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 7:30pm at the Keller Auditorium.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin