Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Jim Dale and Comfort

Lately, the news of the economic crisis, AIG's bonus program, politicians sniping, the flood in Fargo, the "octomom" and all the other crap flying at us every day, has simply become too much for me. I am working on "Wicked" right now, so mostly, I have to listen to that, but I needed a break from that the last couple of days. I don't like to mix music in because it just moves it around in my head...I like to keep it pure. This time, however, I just needed a break.

In desperation last week, I clicked on disc 6 in my car CD player and hoped for the best. The 16th of 17 discs of the last Harry Potter book, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" came on. Even if you have not read the book, you can just tell from the fact that it was disc 16 out of 17 that it was a critical point in the book (but I haven't listened to it in more than 8-10 months)...but I listened to the whole thing because Jim Dale's voice, the actor reading the book, is SO SOOTHING. So I promptly went into the house and got the rest of the CDs. I will be loading them onto my iPod sometime soon so that I can have an alternative to music sometimes.

What a great escape! The story is engrossing and interesting enough to keep my attention, I haven't read it in a long time so there are still some surprises I have forgotten and when I get to work or home from work, I am much more relaxed than I would have been.

I highly recommend all the Harry Potter books on tape as Jim Dale reads them all. He is GREAT!! (He was the voice of the narrator on "Pushing Daisies" on ABC.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin