Saturday, April 25, 2009

Bea Arthur: Television Trailblazer

I remember watching pieces of "Maude" on T.V. when I was little. I didn't always understand why people were laughing, but I remember recognizing this woman who seemed fearless and powerful and commanded attention. She had a deep voice like my mom. There was something about her that I admired, even when I was just 6 or 7 years old. Something about her presence resonated deep in me - even before I turned out to be 5'11" + with an alto voice.

Bea Arthur, Broadway actress, T.V. Hall of Fame member, star of "Maude" and "The Golden Girls" and Tony Award Winner for "Mame", passed away this morning in her sleep. She was 86.

Wouldn't it be great to be a role model like that? To leave a legacy for women to look up to? Not necessarily on that large of a scale, but to know you made a difference somehow...that is a life well-lived, I think.

I'm gonna have to go out and get some episodes of "Maude" to watch...

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin