Sunday, April 12, 2009

Day 17: Pleasing Others

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." ~Bill Cosby

Another quote that made a timely appearance on my sidebar.

I had a day (which I have probably described somewhere on this blog) where I realized that I couldn't make everyone happy - it wasn't possible. Partially because I couldn't do it and partially because people choose to be happy or not happy. It was a critical moment for me - an epiphany. The weight of the world came off my shoulders in that moment when I realized that I could only control MY CHOICES, MY ATTITUDE.

That doesn't mean it is easy knowing that something I do or say makes someone unhappy or that even when I am giving it my all, someone chooses NOT TO BE happy. Not to accept my overtures. Old habits are hard to break. But I keep that internal now instead of externalizing my frustration.

One of my goals is to really find some peace with this idea - that pleasing everyone is the road to failure. I think I am about halfway there, but I still have a ways to go.

I am looking forward to a less hectic week, less emotionally impactful. I'm sure the week will have its moments, but a little calm would be a good thing. I breathe deep and prepare to enter a new week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin